Wednesday, September 30, 2009

"The Giver" by Lois Lowry


This was my third time reading "The Giver." I read the novel once in high school and once in my early years of my current undergraduate program. However, reading it this time really opened up my eyes to some of the very interesting perspectives of this novel.

I must say, wow, after researching some things on the novel online, the book has won many, MANY awards. The awards are definitely worth while - what a great book.

While teaching this novel, I think it is important to remind students to keep an open mind. The book has a lot of lifestyle restrictions and it is crucial to look at every restriction in very dynamic ways. Such as the releasing of individuals, the concept of "birthdays," choosing job and families. Every chapter creates a new, controversial topic that some parents would be frightened to know their son or daughter is discussing in the classroom. However, what a rich conversation this could provide!

Overall, what a wonderful book. I don't have anything really to critique. Rather, I am just jealous of all of the secondary education majors that will be fortunate enough to someday incorporate this novel into their curriculum! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment