Tuesday, November 10, 2009

"The Year of Impossible Goodbyes" by Sook Nyul Choi

I am fortunate to have had the opportunity to be introduced to two different sides of the spectrum and read this side of World War II. Both books were interesting, quick reads and I truly believe I learned not only about both cultures, but also some important facts about history that I was unaware of.

Personally, I believe that “So Far From the Bamboo Garden” was much more terribly heart wrenching than this story. At times you were on the edge of your seat, however, Yoko went through much more death and unbelievably gory, terrible situations than Sook. I am not discounting Sook’s terrible situation by any means – it takes a strong person to go through that, come out okay and be able to tell the story.

Even though I am going to hopefully teach a very young grade someday, I think it would be important for older grades to experience this type of literature, have deep discussions about it and truly understand the importance. Perhaps they do and my school unfortunately did not provide us with such opportunity. Whatever the case may be, this was a great memoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment