Wednesday, November 4, 2009

"So Far From the Bamboo Grove" by Yoko Kawashima Watkins

What a heart-wrenching book! This book could provide a lot of diversity in the classroom and would bring up a lot of important issues for some students. I think this is a book that would be important to bring into late elementary and junior high curriculum. I think older students would be able to handle some of the derogatory issues if the teacher conversed them in an appropriate manner.

It was hard for me to handle the mother passing away. I felt so bad for Ko and Yoko. Also, the rape scenes were also pretty difficult; I cannot imagine living a life worrying about when I went to use the restroom that I had the potential to get raped. Yoko really puts the reader in her own shoes and allows you to feel her true emotions. I wish the book had lasted a little longer so we could have learned more about what happens after her brother returns.

I cannot wait to read the other book next week to see how it contrasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment