Tuesday, November 3, 2009

“That’s Why We Don’t Eat Animals” by Ruby Roth

Oh my! Talk about controversial. Personally, I think this book could bring up a lot more harsh feelings than any same sex marriage picture book (or other controversial books). Why? Because I think it would really affect children in a different way. Most of the kids who read this book probably do eat meat and dairy. However, not all children that read same sex marriage books live in a home with two moms or dads. In a sense, this book reaches out to a lot more kids. I think it would be difficult as a parent to address this issue in a fair way that does not shine a negative light on the book.

For me, the book just got me to think. I do not eat meat very often, maybe a handful of times a week. I may become a vegetarian someday for personal reasons, but this picture book has not changed me for life. I think the most interesting part was towards the end. It is interesting to think about what these cattle farms are doing to the rest of the world. Where else are they having an impact?

This would be a tough book to bring into a classroom or bring home. I think you would have to be pretty comfortable and confident with your principal to bring a book like this into the classroom, whether or a read aloud or just to have on the shelf. As for my own children someday, I think it would be something that I would discuss and would find the appropriate time to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment