Tuesday, October 27, 2009

"Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson

What a great book for teenagers! I remember reading this novel when I was younger and I pulled it back off my bookshelf and read it on a plane ride to and from New York a week ago. It is a very quick and touching read.

Melinda is the main character whom is raped at a summer party before her freshman year of high school. She ended up calling the cops because she was frightened. However, the cops ended up busting the whole party and did not find out about her sexual encounter. She immediately becomes disconnected from school, her family and her friends.

I think this would be a great book for students to read. Not only does it send a message about underage drinking, it also gives young women an inside look at rape. It is such an awful thing and perhaps if they have had problems with it in the past or know of a close friend that has a problem with it. It would be a good way to release some feelings when one is unable to talk to anyone about the problems they are facing.

Overall, very sarcastically humorous book with a lot of great hidden messages. I wish the ending had a more powerful message about speaking out or finding a friend to talk to. This would be a book I would for sure have in my classroom if I were a high school teacher in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment