Monday, October 12, 2009

"The Misfits" by James Howe


Overall, what a great book. There were some things that I thought could have ended differently for the students to make the novel more realistic, however, it was a pleasure reading the novel.

I loved how real all of the characters were. I thought Bobby was hilarious and Addie drove me a bit up the wall. I truly felt for Joe and I was rooting for him to find a companion. Skeezie I never truly understood his motive, but I know that he was able to come out of his shell by the end of the book.

I know most books are supposed to have “happy” endings, but should all books have such glorious endings? Every character ended up where they wanted to be. Perhaps this is good for children who read this book? But, what about the young, gay men out there who can’t find that? Is it sending a message that it is so easy? I think the ending was almost too happy and misleads the kids that do get picked on and are looking for their niche. What do I know though? I am not in junior high or their shoes, maybe it is the perfect ending for them!

No comments:

Post a Comment