Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Reflection Statement

I feel the class has been going great thus far. I have really enjoyed checking out different picture books by various authors, genres and personal interests. I have truly opened my eyes to various controversial children's topics and placed myself in children's shoes when reading. As the class continues to move into the semester, I hope to continue to look at various types of novels. I have been trying to find novels that I would be able to share with younger elementary school students - since that is the future grades I wish to teach. At times it seems somewhat difficult to get my hands on a great, young novel, however I feel as if I can snag some more interesting books.

This class is helping me understand the importance of incorporating a wide variety of picture books into all types of curriculum. At first it was a frightening process, but I feel as if I am understanding the steps I need to take a little more each day.

1 comment:

  1. You have actually hit on an area of children's literature that IS a little challenging (novels for younger grades). Many of these are series books (Magic Tree house, Bailey School Kids, etc.) and they can seem really boring for adults. In truth, I think that these series books (though not always high quality literature) give kids a big sense of accomplishment as they move towards more challenging and "thinking" novels. I would suggest pairing them with high-quality picture books. Remember that part of early novel reading (for grade 2-3) is to feel good about yourself for reading these "adult-like" books! Good luck:)

    ReplyDelete